Thursday, April 5, 2018

[Book Review] A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole


Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise.

Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after?


 4 STARS 

This was such a charming read. And for the first time in a long time (or maybe ever) I've read an adult romance book I've actually enjoyed. I picked this up because I really enjoy this kind of romance book. 

The characters were great. Both Naledi and Thabiso have amazing chemistry and throughout the story, even when they were going through obstacles in their relationship, the chemistry never fades. Naledi is very focused on her studies and her job and with her having a hard childhood she is closed off to making any other friends than the one she has (Portia) or having possible relationships. I found her to be a fine character to read about. She had this stereotypical cold and hard closed off attitude that sometimes rubs me the wrong way but I didn't feel overly annoyed with her until she found out about Thabiso's title as the prince of Thesolo. I found her initial anger and hurt to be warranted and valid but the longer it went on the more I was over it. I liked Thabiso's character fine as well. I think individually I don't have feelings for them either way but together they play off each other really well and I enjoy their interactions.  The romance is written well and although it moves fast (which is brought up by Naledi) I didn't feel annoyed or that it wasn't natural. It seemed to be well done and although I am not the biggest fan of reading sex scenes, I found that these were written well (and there only a few. I expected more, so I am happy to have been wrong). It didn't help that I pictured Naledi as Alisha Wainwright and Thabiso as Daniel Kuluuya the entire time.

The plot is predictable, but I don't think I expected to be blown away with twists and turns. I enjoyed the story for what it was, which is a similar story to the movie My Prince and Me, which I also really love. Ii am kind of all about royal romance movies and I am a sucker for a good holiday one (I'm looking at you A Christmas Prince). I really enjoyed reading this story even if I predicted everything. However, I do think that the story and pacing slows down quite a bit after Naledi finds out that Thabiso is a prince. The last act of the story, although I enjoyed slowed down and I definitely wasn't reading it as quickly and found myself putting it down more than I had with the rest of the story. I also wish we got more setting and the landscapes of Thesolo. As much as I loved Naledi and Thabiso's interactions and dialogue I also would have loved to get more of the place Thabiso called home. 

I found the writing to be really great. Like I said the dialogue is done really well (although I could do without the constant mentions of "fuckboy" in this story) and I loved our two main characters. I never felt like any part of the romance was cringe-y or the characters were trying too hard to be a specific stereotype we see in romance novels. I felt like the characters were reasonable (for the most part) and compassionate with each other. I hate when the guy love interest is over protective and borderline abusive in romance novels, and Thabiso wasn't. And I hate when the main girl character is soft voiced, timid, and seemingly weak, which Naledi wasn't. I also loved that they felt like a force to be reckoned with together.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I know that the next book will have totally different characters because each book in the Reluctant Royals series is a stand alone, which makes me sad, but with how much I loved this book I am excited for more by Alyssa Cole. If you're in the mood for a charming romance but most of the ones you read are problematic or too focused on the sex scenes than the actual story, I recommend picking this up. And if you're already a fan of romance I think this would be a great one to add to your collection.


Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment