Friday, April 6, 2018

[Book Blogger Hop] April 6-12th: Review Deadlines



Book Blogger Hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to discover and follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend bloggers, and gain followers. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end on Thursday where there will be a weekly prompt following a bookish question.


Question:

Do you overextend yourself with too many reviews because you can't pass up a book in hopes you will get them all done or do you carefully plan and be sure you can fulfill the deadlines for all the promised reviews? (submitted by Elizabeth @ Silver's Reviews)

Answer: 

I realized early on honest reviews stress me the heck out. I haven't used NetGalley just yet so any honest reviews I've been requested to read I have been approached by the author. Which is incredibly sweet and I am honored but I am realizing I am not great at reading books I feel like I have to read. So to answer the question: neither currently, because I don't accept  books that have a deadline. However, if I did, I think I'd represent the latter of the two.

Thanks for reading!



13 comments:

  1. I hope you give NetGalley a try.

    Nice answer....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used NetGalley in the past. I don't have a lot of time to read so I don't accept many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I always say I am going to try out NetGalley but either chicken out or end up having too many books from my collection or library to get through first.

      Delete
  3. This is a great answer! When you feel like reading has become a chore more than a fun hobby, then that's when things don't look too great. Taking on review requests with deadlines can definitely work to stress you out, which shouldn't be the case.

    I posted a response to the question on my own blog too, if you'd be interested in checking it out! :) http://inkblottings.com/book-blogger-hop-april-6th/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah! I get too in my head about stuff and make it a chore/homework instead of having fun with it. I think once I am better at managing my time I'll try again. Thanks for stopping by! I will check yours out now :)

      Delete
  4. I just used NetGalley for the first time this year, and I have only requested one book, which thankfully didn't have a deadline.

    Hopefully you give NetGalley a try one of these days. Just remember not to get too excited and go crazy with the book requests! ;-)

    Katisha @ Reel Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I didn't know that some won't have deadlines. That's awesome to know. Thanks Katisha!

      Yeah! I need to be able to control myself. I have heard the horror stories of some readers being so behind on books!

      Delete
  5. So based on your answer to the question, I too think you should give Netgalley a try, but only request books you really want to read. It sounds like you'd do a better job of limiting yourself on Netgalley than I have (which leads to me missing most deadlines there, except for the books that I really wanted to read from publishers I want to stay in good standing with).

    But if all reading deadlines just feel like a chore for you, then maybe you are better off avoiding Netgalley. Obviously only you can decide.

    Have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! I need to try it out sometime. Even if it's just a book a month or something. I keep telling myself I'll try it once I have some of my TBR read, but then more books just keep appearing :P

      Thanks for your advice though Katie!! I super appreciate it <3 Hope the start of your week is going well!

      Delete
  6. I don't put that pressure on myself anymore, I enjoy my books at my pace, so I am so much happier that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I need to slowly build and dip my toes into honest book reviews again so I can get to that mind set! It'll make things so much easier.

      Delete
  7. Netgalley is good but you need to be very careful for it's so easy to request a load thinking you'll only be accepted for 1 or 2 then end up with 12, lol.

    ReplyDelete