Saturday, December 2, 2017

[Book Review] Supernatural: Night Terror by John Passarella


Alerted to strange happenings in Clayton Falls, Colorado, Bobby sends the boys to check it out. A speeding car with no driver, a homeless man pursued by a massive Gila monster, a little boy chased by uprooted trees — it all sounds like the stuff of nightmares. The boys fight to survive a series of terrifying nighttimes, realizing that sometimes the nightmares don’t go away — even when you’re awake...

3.5 STARS 

This was a lot of fun! Granted, I was a bit excited to read this because I love the show. I have been watching since 2007ish and it's still my favorite show today. I actually own one of these novels somewhere (couldn't find it, which is why I snagged this one from my library), but I don't remember if I've read it, so I am saying that this is my first Supernatural novel. It being the ninth one, I was worried I'd be confused but I assumed I knew the show enough that I'd either figure it out quickly or it would be the case where you don't need to read each book in order. It ended up being a little bit of both, which worked out well. 

I think Passarella is really great at conveying Sam and Dean's personalities. Dean felt a little off at times in the last chunk of the book but overall I did feel like I was reading about the characters I love so much on screen. This book very much reads like an episode of Supernatural, which is what I was hoping for. I really liked the case the boys were working and it really creeped me out. A part of me wishes I had picked this book up around Halloween because it had this fun scary element in the last quarter of the book. 

Although I like the writing, I had some issues with it as well. The biggest thing being that I never felt really hooked by the story until the end. It didn't have me anxiously turning the pages in excitement and when I put the book down it did take some will power to pick it up instead of an app on my phone or watching the last season of Supernatural instead (which I just finished yesterday and oh my god). I did enjoy his dialogue, characters, and descriptions but it didn't have that thing, whatever that means, that keeps me intrigued. But on a positive note, some of his descriptions at the end were so gross and had me cringing. So it was pretty great in that aspect. 

Overall I really enjoyed the book. It was a lot of fun and I do want to pick up the others in the series sometime after the holidays. If you're a fan of the show I recommend checking this out. I don't think anything is as good as the show, but if you're in between seasons and missing the boys  I think this is a good alternative.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment