Tuesday, November 7, 2017

[Top Ten Tuesday] Character Leaders


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about ten characters I think make great leaders. I love this prompt so much because I really like characters that have great leadership qualities.

Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)

If you've read the books, it's obvious the boys (Harry and Ron) would be done for without Hermione in their friend group. From helping them with their homework to helping defeat Voldemort she's essential. I think I loved Hermione so much when I was a kid (and still do) because of how important she was to the trio. I wanted to be as brave, smart, and honestly even a bit bossy just like Hermione.

Daisy (Turtles All The Way Down) 

Daisy takes the initiative often in her friendship with Aza. She is the one that seems to make the plans, she thinks of the idea on finding the missing billionaire. Because of Aza's mental health, which most of the time has her distracted and stuck in her mind, Daisy has to take on the leadership role.

Vickie (The Ultimate Sacrifice) 

When Vickie's brother finds a dead girl in the forest near their house and her family is taking the blame for it, she takes it upon herself to find out what really happened. Despite being told by everyone to let the authorities handle it. She does a pretty good job too, doing the research and really working to figure out the answers to clear her family's name.

Willowdean Dickson (Dumplin') 

Willowdean decides to enter the beauty pageant her mother runs, which inspires a lot of her friends who aren't the typical "beauty pageant type" to join with her. Because it is her idea, she tends to be the one they turn to for advice or even what to do.

Faith Herbert (Faith Comics) 

Faith is a superhero who has ventured off on her own away from the superhero team she's been with and starts to fight crime solo in California. Faith is an amazing leader and she proves it when she's with other characters in the comics. She's sweet and kind but forceful and knows what she wants. And I love that about her.

Violet Baudelaire (A Series of Unfortunate Events) 

Being the oldest sibling, Violet takes on the leadership role when it comes to taking care of her little brother and sister. She takes charge, keeps them as safe as she can, but also takes in their input so they can be successful in escaping Count Olaf. What I love about Violet but really all three Baudelaire siblings is their compassion for each other. They are open and take in each others advice and use each others strengths.

Starr Carter (The Hate U Give) 

Starr goes to a expensive, predominantly white school where she feels obligated to talk cleared and more formal than how she talks with her family and friends in her neighborhood. But, online (Tumblr and Twitter mostly) she still talks about movements like Black Lives Matter and tragedies like Emmett Till despite her friend's not seeming to be the biggest fans of her posts. When she loses her friend to a police shooting, she taps into her leadership qualities by speaking out for him but also for the reality people of color have to face daily.


Lyra Belacqua 

Because Lyra is used to being basically on her own at such a young age she is so independent. She decides what she's going to do, and once that decision is made it's impossible to change her mind. She's so smart and confident. I love her character so much and I know young Heather would have been obsessed about being Lyra, like she was about being Hermione.

Kate Harker (This Savage Song) 

Kate goes against her father's wishes pretty often and is self assured that it is the right choice. She doesn't take crap from anyone, knows what she wants, and goes for it. Even if it's unconventional or even at times against what she's been taught by her father. 

Aristotle Mendoza (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe) 

Ari is a bit quiet and keeps to himself. But when you see him hanging out with Dante, or Gina and Susie they seem to turn to him. Dante is a bit bossy sometimes but overall it's Ari who seems to be the leader. Ari's leadership is subtle and at times probably more natural than on purpose.


Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. Hermione is a great choice, and one I've seen on a lot of lists today. I'm sad to say that I haven't read any of the other books you mention, but several are on my to-read-someday list: Aristotle and Dante, This Savage Song, the Philip Pullman trilogy, and possibly The Hate U Give and the Series of Unfortunate Events books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend all of those! I hope I’d you enjoy them when/if you read them :)

      Delete
  2. I heard great things about Dumplin, so it's high on the want to read list. Willowdean Dickson sounds like a very strong character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hope you love it when you read it. I really enjoyed it :) Willowdean is great.

      Delete
  3. Hermione made my list, too. She’d be a great leader of anything. That’s probably why I’ve seen her on so many lists today.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Hermione is the take charge kind of leader that I love :)

      Delete
  4. I really like Violet Baudelaire as a leader. I totally agree with you -- not only is she smart, she takes her teammates strengths and opinions into account.
    My TTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hermione has been on everyone's lists today! Violet would definitely be good too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/top-ten-tuesday-132/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I love Hermione and have her on my list this week, too!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES, YES, YES. I completely agree. Hermione and Starr would both be absolutely amazing leaders and I'm so glad to see them on so many lists this week. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete