Friday, September 8, 2017

[Comic Book Review] Faith Volume 2: California Scheming by Jody Houser


Review for Volume 1

In a city under siege by robots, aliens, monsters, and even worse... celebrities, there is only one woman the people of Los Angeles can count on: the stratospheric superhero called Faith! Aspiring reporter by day and dedicated crime-fighter by night, Faith has tackled every obstacle in her path with confidence like those crushing deadlines at work, the long-distance boyfriend half a world away, and the missing back issues that plague her comics collection! But, unbeknownst to her, Faith is about to collide with the one force she never saw coming: an up-and-coming super-villain bent on snuffing her out once and for all! But who is lurking behind the mask of her new foe and could they just be the one person capable of rendering Faith powerless?

5 STARS


I may actually like this one more than the first one, which is such a nice surprise because I absolutely loved the first volume. This comic series is continuously blowing me away. I have definitely found a new favorite superhero (sorry Iron Man!) and I need to buy these volumes for my personal collection.

Each issue in this volume was amazing and had something great about it. From Faith dealing with her coworkers having to keep her secret identity from their loved ones, to being kidnapped by a wanna-be villain, and even bringing her boyfriend to a comic book convention (by far my favorite story line). I genuinely love the conflicts Faith goes through and how they're resolved. I love that although she is this strong badass chick, she is also sometimes insecure and watches makeup tutorial videos on YouTube. She's also not perfect, she can be impulsive and heavily driven by her emotions. But she's such a great character. I love her so much. 

I want more moments with Faith and Archer because not only is their relationship super cute, I love their friendship. Her showing him the ropes of the comic book convention and having him cosplay was great. I also wouldn't mind more moments with her and the coworkers who know her secret, we got a little more of that but I am greedy and I want those friendships fleshed out. I love the humor and dialogue. The characters really make the story for me and I find myself wanting more every time I finish an issue or volume. Good thing I have the third volume waiting for me! Thank God for public libraries.

I cannot stress how much I recommend this series. If you're a fan of superheroes, if you're apart of the body positive movement, if you want to read more stories with a variety of body types, you'd enjoy Faith. She's such a great character to root for, the writing is great, and the art is colorful and fun. Out of all the books I've read in the last few years, this is the series I wish I could go back in time and give to younger me.

Thanks for reading! 



2 comments: