Wednesday, August 23, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Books I Read Before Blogging


It's time for this week's Top Five Wednesday! This has been created by gingerreadslainey and it also has a Goodreads group. I am hoping to do these posts (or other weekly Wednesday posts) more often as long as I am interested in the current prompt! This week's prompt is about five books I loved and read before I started blogging. I only started blogging in January, so this wasn't too hard for me to find books I read before starting, but I recommend all five of these!


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
I absolutely love this series, it's one of my favorites. One day I'd love to re-read them so I can review them on my website because I just want to get the word out more and more how amazing this trilogy is. It is definitely one of the more unique stories I have ever read and the world in this story is one of my favorites that I have ever read.




Cinder by Marissa Meyer
This quartet is such a fun one to read. Cinder was actually my favorite one (and my favorite of the four main women characters) but they're all pretty great. Each book centers around one female fairy tale character and they all come together to defeat the villain. It's like an Avengers style fairy tale retelling. I highly recommend it. This is another series I'd love to re-read so I can review each book.



This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl 
I pre-ordered this book the moment I could and I am so happy I did. Esther Earl is a nerdfighter and friend of YouTuber/author John Green and his brother and fellow YouTuber Hank Green who passed away from cancer in 2010. I discovered Esther through John and watched her videos because of him. She came off as funny and goofy and so loving. When John and Hank asked her how they should celebrate "Esther Day" (August 3, her birthday) she said she wanted everyone to announce their love for each other, especially platonic love. I recommend checking out www.tswgo.org for more information about Esther and the charity her family runs for her. Also check out the book!

Horns by Joe Hill
This is such a creepy and great story. I definitely want to re-read this one sometime maybe this Autumn so I can review it. I loved both the book and the movie, and I love the movie cover more than the original (I know, blasphemy!). It's about Ignatius Perrish who spent the night drunk doing terrible things and wakes up the next morning with a hangover and a pair of horns growing out of his head. It's so good. Highly recommend especially around Halloween,


The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi
I read these books as a kid, and then again in college and both times I loved this series. It was one of the books (like Harry Potter) where I impatiently anticipated the next one and I had to have it once it was published. I would love to own this series but also to re-read them again. It's about these siblings who move to a new house, one of them finds a book that opens them up to a world of creatures just outside their door.









Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. I did re-read Cinder, because I wanted to do a review for all the books.
    I loved Cinder the best as well and still hope to read Winter very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! I hope you like it as much as you did the first time around! And yes! Cinder is definitely the best one! :D

      Delete
  2. If you are determined to, definitely give Cinder a re-read! It was such a good book and I would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to! Maybe I will put it higher on my re-read TBR! :D <3

      Delete
  3. Spiderwick!! We LOVED the Spiderwick Field Guide. I think it was more popular than the series.
    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/top-5-wednesday-books-from-before-you-joined-goodreads-com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun little fantasy series! I loved the field guide too! It's so much fun. I'll check out your T5W now! :D Thank you for stopping by <3

      Delete
  4. Ohh great picks Heather, I really do like to check out the Spiderwick series, because 1. I love anything that Holly Black writes and 2. I absolutely love fantasy books. Plus I heard amazing reviews about this series. Thank you so much for the awesome post Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I hope you like them!! They're pretty short and a lot of fun! 😁

      Delete