Saturday, April 8, 2017

[Book Tag] Unpopular Opinions Book Tag


This book tag was created by The Book Archer from YouTube! These opinions are obviously all my own, and it isn't supposed to be offensive. We all have different opinions and this tag is one to express those differences. It's supposed to be a fun way to get to know the person doing the tag, so let's have fun and discuss!


A popular book or series you didn't like.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I don't really understand the hype for these books. I am super happy that so many people love the books because seeing people happy about books makes me happy, but I am so confused on what people see in it. I didn't find the writing to be well done, and the story was boring to me. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and I felt like you could tell that the story was choppily written around the photos.I did watch the movie, and although I preferred it to the book I still wasn't blown away or anything. It happens, I'm not going to love every hyped up series or book. But it was a bummer especially with how awesome the photos in the books are.

A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.
Out of all of the questions this one was probably the hardest. Most of the books I like are also liked by most of the book community. So I'd have to say Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Everyone seems to think this is the worst book of the series (it's not, if I had to choose I'd say Catching Fire) and I totally disagree. I loved Mockingjay and it's my favorite of the three.

A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (SPOILERS for the Throne of Glass series and Hex Hall series) OR an OTP that you don't like.
The Throne of Glass series hasn't ended yet, but the main relationship of Aelin and Rowan that is currently going on (and probably the end game) seems unhealthy and I'm not a fan. I preferred her with Chaol, and although I don't see them together anymore since the characters have changed so much throughout the series. Unfortunately, I don't love Aelin's character development, and I still am unsure if I even like Rowan. 

My other answer for this question is the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins. I really liked Sophie and Cal together, but instead she ends up with Archer. Who was fine, but I thought her and Cal were a better fit. 

A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Classics (especially classic romance) are a genre I almost never reach for. I honestly just have no desire to read classic literature. I appreciate what the genre has done for modern literature but it's just too boring for me. There are a handful of classics I am a fan of, and I may find more to add to the list as I read more here and there but classics aren't flying off the shelves for me anytime soon.

A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Severus Snape. I think he's an awful person and I cannot understand why anyone would like him. I think he's a well written character and his plot in the Harry Potter series is an important one, but I am not a fan of him. He's a bully to his students and he creepily can't get over a crush he had 10+ years ago. So much so that he takes it out on an innocent child (multiple children in fact). I'll also never understand anyone who still ships him with Lily Evans.

A popular author that you can't seem too get into.
Colleen Hoover is definitely one, her books are very misogynistic, sexist, and all around awful. I'll never get the huge love for her books. It makes me sad that there are high school readers out there picking up her books and thinking that is what romance is supposed to be like. Every time I see that someone's reading or loving their books I am immediately confused because of how uncomfortable the situations she puts her characters in are.

 I also don't understand the hype of Ellen Hopkins books, they're a bit melodramatic for me. Plus I don't love that they're written in verse.

A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (Examples: lost princess, corrupt leader, love triangles, etc.)
I have so many tropes I am tired of seeing. The "you're not like other girls" trope and the "she was so beautiful but she didn't know she was beautiful" trope are two of the many I hate. I want less girl on girl fighting and hate and more of girls building each other up. I actually don't mind love triangles as long as it's written well.

A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
There are probably a few. The Da Vinci Code series, The Millennium series,  The Sookie Stackhouse series, and The Vampire Dairies series. I don't plan on continuing the Miss Peregrine's series either. I don't want to completely write off too many series, because I don't know, maybe in the future I'll be into reading the series. A year ago I would have told you that I was never giving the Mortal Instruments series a try and here I am on City of Glass. I try not to completely write off a series unless I've given it a shot, but I am not going to force myself to read them until I am in the mood so it gives the series a better chance.

The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl movie is technically better than the book is, but I still don't love the movie either. Overall the story is just bad. I think The Hunger Games movies were better than the books because of the extra perspectives we got from the movies. Same with Thirteen Reasons Why, because we got more information and a fuller story on what happened in the show, I find the show to be better.

Thanks for reading! 

Do you agree or disagree with any of my answers? If you do (or have done - since I know it's an older one) the tag link me below! I'd love to read your answers.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Can we re-read the Hunger Games series as soon as I track down a copy of the first book? haha! I can't believe I haven't found it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! That would be awesome. We could watch the movies right after each book like we did when we re-read HP together!

      Delete
  2. I did this book tag not too long ago. It was a fun tag. And, I agree with you that Mockingjay wasn't that great. I liked the series as a whole, but I wanted more Katniss and Peeta time and less devastating war. That, and some of the traps they walked into didn't make that much sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you misread my answer! I actually think Mockingjay is the best one of the trilogy! And I'll go on your page now and look for your post doing the tag! I think the answers to these questions are always fun to read. Thanks for reading! :D

      Delete