Tuesday, April 25, 2017

[Top Ten Tuesday] Book Qualities I Don't Look For




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week we are talking about the top ten books qualities I try to steer clear from because I am not into them. Some of these are not things you can just tell by reading the flap of the book or looking at the cover, but I do try to stay away from these specific traits when looking at reviews.

Lack of World Building
This is the worst, because it makes it harder to fully envision the world you're supposed to be pulled into. For me, fantasy is all about escape, and it's hard to do that when you cant fully immerse yourself in the story. 

Insta-Love
This is pretty self explanatory, and I bet a lot of people share this hatred with me. I don't mind romance, I actually kind of love it, but it has to be believable.

Zombie Books
I have read my share of zombie books, and I enjoy The Walking Dead, but I don't reach for zombie books anymore. It's more than that, I actively avoid them as much as possible. But it isn't only zombies. I don't read vampire, werewolf, or much paranormal romance either. I read these a lot in high school/early college, and I think I am just burnt out from it. I haven't read dystopian books for a while for that same reason. 

Familiar Authors That I Dislike 
If it's by an author I am not a fan of, I am less likely to pick up the book. Now, that isn't to say I couldn't be convinced otherwise by reviews, friend's recommendations, etc. But for the most part, if the author isn't one I am a fan of, I steer clear.

Body Shaming/Anything Against the Body Positive Movement 
This is also self explanatory. I am a fat woman who needs to read stories that has themes and morals that celebrates all body types. 

Girls Pinned Against Each Other
One thing I am so sick of is authors pinning girls against each other because of popularity, boys, jealousy, whatever. You name it. Like the body positivity thing. The moral or end lesson needs to have more positive outlooks when it comes to girl friends. 

Bad or Unrealistic Dialogue
This is one of my least favorite things ever. All my favorite books have great dialogue. It's one of my favorite ways to get to know the characters in the story. When the dialogue sounds off or wrong I immediately want to stop reading.

Road Trip Books
This is a bit unpopular from what I can tell, but I am not a fan of road trip books. I tend not to read them. I am not a huge fan of traveling and I don't have that traveling urge like so many people do.

Romanticizing Things That Shouldn't Be Romanticized
I am looking at stories with relationships that are abusive but really where anything is romanticized and it shouldn't be. Self harm, suicide, alcoholism, etc. We need romances with healthy relationships. We need stories about mental health that shares how serious it is and how to cope with it. We need to educate instead of idolize bad behavior.

Thanks for reading! 

What are some qualities in books you tend to steer clear from? 


3 comments:

  1. "Romanticizing Things That Shouldn't Be Romanticized" Oh my gosh, preach!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! It's insane how many unhealthy relationships are being highlighted! It makes me worry a bit about young readers who see these relationships as healthy ones to strive for!

      Delete