Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Moana Book Tag

This book tag was created by Claire from the YouTube channel themawkwardpotatoes. I am linking the original video here. I recommend watching her original video because her answers are really fun and if you're anything like me you can watch book tag videos all day. I decided to do this tag now because it's only five days until the release of Moana on DVD and Blu-Ray. I cannot wait to pick it up!

Where You Are: A book/series that brings you back to your roots.

The obvious answer for this would have to be the Harry Potter series but I am going to stay with it for the reason that it links me to my Nanny. She bought me my first Harry Potter book, and we read them together all the time. Moana has such a connection to her Grandmother, who reminds her to stay true to herself despite the expectations that are stacked on her. She reminded me a lot of my Nanny (and I suspect she reminded a lot of people of their grandmothers) because of the connection I had with her.

How Far I'll Go: A character that longs for more.

Alanna from The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. Alanna doesn't want the future that her father and society has planned out for her, so instead she goes after the future she wants. I haven't finished the series yet, I plan on doing that sometime this year, but from what I have read so far I really enjoyed.

We Know the Way: A book that showed you a part of yourself in a different light.

The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace (review) is a book of modern poetry that really struck a chord with me when I read it. Although, some of her experiences that she writes about aren't ones I can completely relate to, her topic of learning to be body positive was something I could definitely relate to. It's odd that so many people see parts of themselves as ugly or unattractive, but then they those same (or similar) parts in other people and they see beauty in that person. It goes to show you that your greatest critic is yourself.

How Far I'll Go (Reprise): A character that goes out to seek their destiny.

Lyra Belacqua from the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman is a strong character. I love her so much, and I know that if I read this book series as a child she would have been up there with Hermione when it comes to role models for young me. Lyra could have easily stayed at Jordan College and ignored the things happening around her but instead she faces everything head on.

You're Welcome: Your favorite "villain" or "problematic" character. (Warning: Some spoilers for the A Court of Thorns and Roses series.)

For this question you're basically supposed to pick a character that you like that you're not supposed to. Or pick a character that you like but they have flaws (which makes them "problematic"). I had a little bit of trouble picking an answer for this question but I finally decided on Lucien in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. We didn't see him too much in the sequel, but in the first book of this series he seems nice to Feyre. I enjoyed their banter and the beginnings of their friendship. Plus, his past made me really feel for him. I assume that we will see him a lot more in the third book, so I am hoping that he isn't a complete jerk because I did think he had promise to be a better character. From what I have seen, a lot of readers have completely written him off as a villain, but I think it's much more black and white than that.

Shiny: Your favorite book cover.

Publishers have really stepped up their game as of late when it comes to covers. There are so many gorgeous covers now that it's hard to pick. I love the simplicity and bright colors of the cover for A List of Cages by Robin Roe. All of Sarah J Maas' covers are beautiful. The An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir also has stunning covers. I think fantasy is where its at when it comes to great covers.

I Am Moana: A character that accepts their fate and embraces who they are.
(Side Note: this is my absolute favorite song off the soundtrack.)

Soloman from Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley. Soloman suffers from agoraphobia, which is the reason why he hasn't left his house in three years. But with the guidance from a couple new friends he wants to learn to learn to control his fear instead of letting his fear control him. Also, I love the way Soloman's sexuality is discussed in this book, it's so normal and not a huge deal because he's already embraced that part of himself. Which I really enjoyed.

Know Who You Are: A book/series that is completely its own.

It's 2017 and original ideas for books (and movies, TV shows, YouTube videos, etc) are hard to come by. I think that is something that some people have issues wrapping their heads around, which is weird because it's not a negative thing. Some tropes and story techniques are there for a reason and if the writer (director, actor, etc, you get me) is good at their job then they're able to make it their own thing. Like how I definitely think Harry Potter helped paved the way for more magical school stories, but it wasn't the first magical school story to be written and published. However, the book series I think that is really original and great has to be the A Series of Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snicket. The skeleton of the story is pretty simple, orphan kids go to live with abusive family member and have to figure out a way to get out of their situation. However, the details and characters are what really make the series stand out. Plus, I cannot forget the writing style. The writing style and voice of Lemony Snicket is what really makes it unique. The way he breaks fourth walls by speaking directly to the reader, the clever uses of different themes in the book (how when he talks about deja vu he repeats the sentence twice). I think this series is so clever.

That's The Moana Book Tag! Don't forget to check out the original creator's video! Please link me below if you end up doing this tag, I'd love to read your answers.

Thanks for reading! 

Have you seen Moana? What did you think? I absolutely love the music. I have the soundtrack on repeat. I cannot wait to pick up the movie

2 comments: