Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January Wrap-Up


This is my end of the month post where I will be giving a small run down on my reading progress for the previous month. I plan on doing these at the end of each month so I can assess how I have been doing with my yearly reading plans, so I can have all my reviews from the month in one spot, and so I can discuss any books I ended up DNFing this month. DNF stands for "Did Not Finish" which means I didn't read the book cover to cover, I gave up partially through the book because I was unhappy with it for whatever reason.

When it comes to my reading goals, I am pretty pleased with how January turned out. I read the books I wanted to read, without putting them off. I reviewed every book I read and made sure those reviews were longer and more detailed than the ones from previous years. I obviously started a book blog, which is something I have been keeping up with and I have also been keeping up with Books Amino more than I had in late 2016. I definitely read more diverse books, out of the eleven books I read five of them are considered diverse. I read them because I was excited about them and I believe I loved all of them.

Book Reviews 

Here is a list of the books I read this month. I will also link them so it's easier to get to them if you're interested in any of my thoughts on the books I read this month. Overall it was a good reading month for me and I am happy with how 2017 started.
LumberJanes Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan 
Rat Queens Vol. 2: Sass and Sorcery  
Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton 
This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab 
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 
The End by Lemony Snicket 
Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick 
The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas 
George by Alex Gino 
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera 
Ash by Malinda Lo 

Books I DNFed 

The two books I DNFed this month were both books I was really excited to read. I had both on my list for a long time and when I finally got around to reading them I was bummed to be highly disappointed in both reads. I do have short little reviews on Goodreads where I explained why I was giving up on the books for now.
How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran 
Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen 

February Plans

Currently I am reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I was hoping to be finished with it in time for it to go with my January wrap up but I wasn't fast enough. For February I plan on reading books that focus more on romance or relationships because of Valentine's Day. Normally I am not huge on romance being the only focus in the story, but only because I haven't really found a book or series that I feel like does the romance well. I have a handful of books picked out that I have heard good things about and I am excited to read them and hopefully enjoy them. I don't want to list the books just in case I end up not getting to them, but I will of course be reviewing them as I finish them so keep an eye out for new reviews!

Thanks for reading!

What was your favorite read of January? Do you feel satisfied with your reading progress for the start of 2017?

2 comments:

  1. Phew! What a great reading month for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I feel like the beginning of the year is always such a great reading time. And then it gets harder!

      Delete