Tuesday, January 15, 2019

[Top Ten Tuesday] New To Me Authors I Read in 2018





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about authors I read in 2018 that may not have been debut authors but they were new to me! I love being able to read new authors and experience new writing styles. Below I will list the books I read by authors that were new to me! 


The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding
Alexandra Bracken
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

I really loved this book! I own two other Alexandra Bracken books on my kindle and I feel like I have to get to now that I've read one of her books and liked it so much! I found her writing to be descriptive and her characters/dialogue to be funny. 


Stalking Jack the Ripper
Kerri Maniscalco
⭐⭐⭐ 

I have read both Stalking Jack the Ripper and Hunting Prince Dracula in 2018 and although I didn't love them,  I didn't hate them. I am not sure if I will continue the series but I would definitely try out another book written by Kerri Maniscalco. She writes characters really well and the romantic tension between the main character and romantic interest is really well done. 


Reign of the Fallen
Sarah Glenn Marsh 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

It is so odd to think that 2018 was the first time I read Reign, especially since I've re-read it about eight times since it's publication. I love Sarah's writing so much along with her talent for storytelling. She's become not only a new favorite but an auto-preorder author for me. I cannot recommend Reign of the Fallen or Song of the Dead more. I am hoping to read her debut novel, Fear the Drowning Deep this year in 2019. 


The Belles
Dhonielle Clayton 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I loved this book so much, and although I remember the majority of the story I really want to re-read it before I pick up the second one. I really loved Clayton's storytelling and I cannot wait to re-read this one so I can continue the series. 


Children of Blood and Bone
Tomi Adeyemi 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I loved this book so much and I am so excited to the release of the second book. I thought the world building, characters, and plot were all perfect. I also really love Tomi as a person. She is so funny on Instagram. 


How To Make A Wish
Ashley Herring Blake
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I read How To Make A Wish back in 2018 but my first book of 2019 was Girl Made of Stars. Both books absolutely blew me away and Ashley Herring Blake became a favorite contemporary writer of mine. She writes about family issues so well and often (maybe always but I could be wrong) her stories are queer. I cannot recommend her books enough if you're in the mood for something that'll make you really feel all the emotions. 


The Astonishing Color of After 
Emily X.R. Pan
⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book is written so beautifully. This is her debut novel and I think it is such a fantastic one. The emotion that comes through on the page is absolutely gorgeous and I felt her writing was poetic and beautiful without being over the top. Also, she writes magical realism so well and I never felt confused like I sometimes do when it comes to magical realism. I cannot wait to read more from her. 


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Taylor Jenkins Reid 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I have heard nothing but amazing things about all of Taylor Jenkins Reid's books so I cannot wait to continue reading her books. When Evelyn Hugo came out I saw a lot of people saying things similar to "obviously it's going to be good, all of her books are amazing" so that is just a fantastic sign that I need to continue. Especially with how much I loved this book. 


Every Heart A Doorway
Seanan McGuire
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book series is absolutely amazing and I am so mad it took me so long to pick it up. I definitely not only want to continue the series but I want to pick up other books by McGuire. Her characters, writing, and plot are so well done. 


And I Darken
Kiersten White
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I loved this book so much and I cannot wait to finish the trilogy in 2019. It was so well written, I loved the characters and world so much, and the plot had a good balance of character development and action. I am so mad it took me so long to pick this book up but I am so happy I did after the trilogy was done so I don't have to wait. 


Thank you for reading!


18 comments:

  1. So many people have been talking about The Belles lately. I'm getting more and more curious about it.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomi Adeyemi was on my list this week too! I'm planning on reading Sarah Glenn Marsh and Kerri Maniscalco this year, so I hope I enjoy their books as much as you did.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/top-ten-tuesday-194/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you LOVE Sarah's books!! I am in love with her Reign duology. I'm hoping Razorbill lets her write more in the world because I am not ready to let the story and characters go yet!

      Delete
  3. I love McGuire and joke that I'd read a phone book written by her. Glad to see her on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? She's such a talented writer! I cannot wait to read more of her stuff!

      Delete
  4. I need to read something by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and I want to try And I Darken by White. I've only read one book by Ashley Herring Blake and it was Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the Word. SO GOOD. She's on my list this week too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Aberdeen!! I need to get through the rest of her books because so far I've read two and loveddd them. I really want to read Taylor Jenkins Reid's new book Daisy Jones & the Six!

      Delete
  5. Every Heart a Doorway was so good! And I'm about halfway through And I Darken, I need to finish it soon!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're liking And I Darken! I've noticed it has been a bit polarizing! Some people either love or hate it!!

      I'll check out yours now! :)

      Delete
  6. I loved And I Darken - it was so good! *_*

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely have to read And I Darken. I got the book when it was on sale last summer, but I have yet to read it. At least I have it when I have time, instead of waiting for it at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful selection! Discovering new authors is the best 😍 especially when they've got a huge back catalogue to explore, and/or new work coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's so much fun! It's always great to have favorite authors and such but I really enjoy reading new authors. :D Thanks for stopping by Sheree!

      Delete
  9. Great list! Most of these books are on my TBR! Stalking Jack The RIpper was an interesting read to me and also one of my discoveries last year.
    Marti @Bookish Treats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I am considering reading the third one. I enjoy the romance but that's almost it

      Delete