Wednesday, April 11, 2018

[Comic Book Review] Jessica Jones: Alias Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis


Meet Jessica Jones. Once upon a time, she was a costumed super hero — but not a very good one. Her powers were unremarkable compared to the amazing abilities of the costumed icons that populate the Marvel Universe. In a city of Marvels, she never found her niche. The self-destructive would-be Avenger is now the owner and sole employee of Alias Investigations — a small, private-investigative firm specializing in superhuman cases. When she uncovers the potentially explosive secret of one hero’s true identity, Jessica’s life immediately becomes expendable. But her wit, charm and intelligence just may help her survive another day. Thrust into the midst of a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels, has Jessica burned too many bridges to turn to old friends for help?

 4.5 STARS

I am a huge fan of the Jessica Jones Marvel Netflix show, and when I finished season two I realized I really wanted to know more about the characters and I wanted more. So I requested the first volume of Jessica Jones: Alias and I am really happy I did.

I was worried that my love for Krysten Ritter's Jessica would burn a little too brightly for me to get used to the original comic book character. But honestly the show does an amazing job with portraying Jessica's character because I could easily see Krysten Ritter saying this dialogue and it felt very similar. Which I was really happy to see. We even get a glimpse of Luke Cage, which made me happy because I know some of their history. We also get a glimpse of Malcolm, who I know from the show. Other than that we get to see a little bit of Carol Danvers (Miss Marvel) and the rest of the characters are just clients and the police. So we don't have a lot of characters in this volume, but I assume that'll be a common thing because Jessica likes to work alone.

This volume has nine issues instead of the usual six which felt weird because the first story line was for most of the volume and then there was a second plot that made up the rest. Both were really good and I was definitely caught up in the mystery of the stories. However, I definitely enjoyed the first one more, probably because it was longer so we had more time with it.

The writing was good! It's weird to talk about writing with comic books because a lot of the story is told through the art. However, the beginning was a bit confusing. But once I got the hang of the story it was easy to follow. However, I wasn't the biggest fan of the art. I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it. I still plan on to keep reading the rest of the volumes despite the art so it isn't stopping me from continuing the story.

Overall if you like the Marvel Netflix show I feel like you'd love the comics. I am so excited to get the second volume because Jessica is such an interesting character and I love the mysteries behind her story. I am bummed it took me so long to start reading her comics because I could have known how great this comic series was long ago!! I highly recommend this comic series, at least the first one.

Thanks for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment