Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Book Websites & Apps I Use Frequently



I use a lot of different book websites and apps to either document what I am reading, to help me figure out what to read next, to learn about new books, or just talk about books with other readers. I thought I'd share them with everyone just in case these platforms aren't as widely known! I'd love to know any you use because I am always up for more ways to talk about books!

BookThinkers (Wesbite)


When I decided to stop using Goodreads, I switched to BookThinkers and I am loving it. It's visually really cute and I am enjoying having a virtual bookshelf that I can keep updated as I read. I think it's a great substitute to Goodreads and I have been happy with my transition. The three founders of the website are great at communicating and listening to their users. Plus, an app is being created! If you're interested in being friends on BookThinkers I will link my profile here!

  According to the website BookThinkers was created to:
  • Create a virtual bookshelf
  • Record their biggest takeaways from those books
  • Set systematic note reminders so that they could retain more information from the books they love. 
  • Set personal reading challenges.
  • Set group reading challenges.
  • Interact with friends.
  • Discover their next read. 
  • & much more! 
If any of that sounds interesting to you I highly recommend checking it out! I'd always love new friends to talk books with.

Bookly App (Apple Store)


This app used to be named Bookout but not too long ago the name has been changed to Bookly. I've been using this platform for about a year now and I am still loving it. You add the books you are about to read (or books you've read) and you tell it when you're reading. It documents how long you've been reading and there are options for you to take notes as your reading but also to document any notes. As a reviewer, this app is incredibly helpful for me to get all my thoughts in one area so I can write the best review possible.

Bookly Features:
  • Track your books - Easily track and organize all your books. Quickly add them by scanning or searching for them online. 
  • Thoughts & Quotes - Thoughts and quotes can be easily added for each book. You can add both text and image quotes. 
  • Reading Statistics - Gather reading stats that will show your progress and help you understand how you evolve over time. 
  • Real Time Tracking - You can track your reading in real time as a daily workout. Just start a new session and we'll do the rest. 
  • Goals - You can set up monthly and yearly goals, both help you keep your focus and make a habit out of reading. 
  • Achievements - Bookly has tons of achievements that you can unlock to keep things interesting and fun. 
  • Book Infographics - Finish a book, generate an awesome infographic, share it with your friends!
If this sounds interesting, I highly recommend this app. There is a free version where you can set up ten books, so I recommend checking out the free version, see if you like it and you can decide if you want to spend the $5. I think it was definitely worth the price.


cloudLibrary App (Apple, Android, & Windows Store)


cloudLibrary is an app that I had to switch to (from Overdrive) because my library switched over. At first I was really upset, but I am not as bummed as much as I was. On Overdrive you can download e-book library books on your kindle, and on cloudLibrary you have to read on the app. I am not the biggest fan of that, but the variety of books are pretty good and it's where I get most of my audiobooks. If you have a library account I recommend checking out either cloudLibrary or Overdrive because both are really great.

How It Works:

  • Download the app directly from the Apple App Store, Google Play, or install the cloudLibrary app for Windows PC or Mac OS X 
  • Log into your library by selecting your state and entering your library ID and  PIN (if required). Click agree to terms and log in. 
  • Browse, borrow, and read. Now you're ready to browse, borrow, and read eBooks form the local library.
It is a free app! So if you want some free books from your library I highly recommend.


Litsy App (Apple Store and Google Play) 


Litsy is basically Instgram but solely for books. I am only a handful of months into using this one but I am really liking it. It feels a lot more like a community than Bookstagram and I think it's a lot of fun. If you want to be my friend my username is the same as my blog, HeathersReadingHideaway. I would love more friends!


Listy is a place to share and discover your favorite books with your favorite people. The Litsy community is a groundswell of passionate readers, authors, celebrities, and more.

  • Share bookish moments with Quotes, Reviews, and Blurbs. 
  • Measure Litfluence to discover your "bookprint" in the world. 
  • Explore recommendations from readers, not algorithms.
  • Want to organize your reading list? Litsy has stacks for that too.    
If you're interested I say give it a try. The app is free and it's really easy to get caught up in the community.

Forest App (Apple Store and Google Play) 


This app isn't solely a reading app but it is an app I use often while reading. You tell it when you want to focus, pick a time, then a tree will start growing. For that time you cannot close out of that app. If you close out of the app before the time is up your tree will die. Each tree planted you get coins, and you can use those coins to get a variety of different trees or if you save them up you can plant a tree in real life. It is a great incentive for me to not scroll through Twitter even if I am supposed to be reading or writing.

How It Works:
  • Whenever you want to focus, plant a tree. 
  • The tree will grow in the following time. 
  • The tree will be killed if you leave this app. 
  • Build your forest. Keep building your forest everyday, every single tree represents your focused time. 
Stay focused in any scenario: Working at the office, Studying at the library, doing classwork, writing, or even just being with friends.This app is $2.


Verbavolant (Website)


I have just started using this for fun recently. I have talked about this in some blog posts in the past but I really want to start reading more books set in other places around the world. This app is a great way to find books set in places that isn't only just United States of America and Europe. You either can search a place specifically or ask it to pick a random book for you. If you're interested I highly recommend checking out the website.


Verbavolant's description:

So you'd like to travel to exotic country  but you don't have the time or money to do so right now? Have you ever considered a book? You might even leave today for your destination!

You'll live the experience of becoming a traveler in a country far away or see a city through the eyes of one of its locals. Sure, some stories might be a little over the top but that is definitely a bonus!


Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. That tree app is so cool! And the one for traveling to other countries too. Will have to check them out. I also signed up to bookthinkers after your last post and post my reviews there, but it has serious drawbacks on mobile (the only way I use it) and often doesn't have the books I read, and I have not seen any interaction on that page so far and wouldn't know much how to even start it - but it might also he due to the mobile version because it won't let me when read anyone's reviews at all. Just what's on the feed. So let's hope they will still keep making the website better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss!! I definitely recommend the tree app. It's so much fun. BookThinkers are launching an app soon (they're working on it now!) so hopefully that'll be better and gain more members that way! :D

      Delete