Tuesday, March 20, 2018

[Top Ten Tuesday] Spring 2018 TBR


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about the books I am hoping to get to in the spring! What books do you have lined up for the spring?

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 

I have been saying I am going to re-read this book for at least a year now. I think I am so worried to because it was such a favorite of mine when I was younger and it's always scared to go back and read a old favorite. I am worried that as I have grown I have lost my love for Alice. However, despite my worries about killing the nostalgic factor of this book (and looking glass) for me, I am excited to re-read it finally.

Synopsis: 
Weary of her storybook, one "without pictures or conversations," the young and imaginative Alice follows a hasty hare underground--to come face-to-face with some of the strangest adventures and most fantastic characters in all of literature.

The Ugly Duchess, the Mad Hatter, the weeping Mock Turtle, the diabolical Queen of Hearts, the Cheshire Cat--each more eccentric than the last--could only have come from that master of sublime nonsense, Lewis Carroll.

In penning this brilliant burlesque of children's literature, Carroll has written a farcical satire of rigid Victorian society, an arresting parody of the fears, anxieties, and complexities of growing up.

Carroll was one of the few adult writers to successfully enter the children's world of make-believe: where the impossible becomes possible, the unreal--real, and where the height of adventure is limited only by the depths of imagination.



Uprooted by Naomi Novik 

I don't know too much about this story yet because I like to go in a bit blind with fantasy books. However, I hear amazing things about this story and the writing. I am so excited to get to it finally. The cover is enough for me to be interested but the fact that I am hearing so many great things makes me even more excited.

Synopsis: 
“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.



Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin 

This book is about a main character who is intersex, which is something I actually haven't read before. I am still learning as I keep reading about different members of the LGBTQIA community so I am excited to learn more about intersexuality and this fictional character's experience. 

Synopsis: 
The Walker family is good at keeping secrets from the world. They are even better at keeping them from each other. Max Walker is a golden boy, with a secret that the world may not be ready for. This novel is a riveting tale of a family in crisis, a fascinating exploration of identity, and a coming-of-age story like no other.




A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole 

I am not a romance person typically because I cannot seem to get over all of the unhealthy relationships. However, I hear this is not only a fun romance with a healthy relationship but that it is similar to The Prince in Me movie (a movie I really love) movies but with POC characters. So I am pretty excited to pick it up! Just waiting for it to be available at my library.

Synopsis: 
Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise.

Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after?



The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill 

I would be lying if I didn't say that I was initially attracted to this cover but once I read the reviews I realized it was definitely up my ally. I am really excited to read this middle grade fantasy!

Synopsis: 
Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and delivers them to welcoming families on the other side of the forest, nourishing the babies with starlight on the journey.

One year, Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight instead of starlight, filling the ordinary child with extraordinary magic. Xan decides she must raise this enmagicked girl, whom she calls Luna, as her own. To keep young Luna safe from her own unwieldy power, Xan locks her magic deep inside her. When Luna approaches her thirteenth birthday, her magic begins to emerge on schedule -- but Xan is far away. Meanwhile, a young man from the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch. Soon, it is up to Luna to protect those who have protected her -- even if it means the end of the loving, safe world she’s always known.


Soft in the Middle by Shelby Eileen 
This is a poetry book that I am really excited to read! As a fat woman I am always looking for stories and poetry that I can find myself in and this book is about many important things like heartbreak, body image, and the beauty of women. So I am here for it.

Synopsis: 
 A debut poetry collection about love, heartbreak, body image, how absolutely breathtaking girls are, flower blooms and starlight.



The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli 

This book has gotten great reviews and I am excited to read it! I only know what is in the synopsis but it definitely has me really interested. Plus, the cover is gorgeous. 

Synopsis:
In the beginning, there was the Namsara: the child of sky and spirit, who carried love and laughter wherever he went. But where there is light, there must be darkness—and so there was also the Iskari. The child of blood and moonlight. The destroyer. The death-bringer.

These are the legends that Asha, daughter of the king of Firgaard, has grown up learning in hushed whispers, drawn to the forbidden figures of the past. But it isn’t until she becomes the fiercest, most feared dragon slayer in the land that she takes on the role of the next Iskari—a lonely destiny that leaves her feeling more like a weapon than a girl.

Asha conquers each dragon and brings its head to the king, but no kill can free her from the shackles that await at home: her betrothal to the cruel commandant, a man who holds the truth about her nature in his palm. When she’s offered the chance to gain her freedom in exchange for the life of the most powerful dragon in Firgaard, she finds that there may be more truth to the ancient stories than she ever could have expected. With the help of a secret friend—a slave boy from her betrothed’s household—Asha must shed the layers of her Iskari bondage and open her heart to love, light, and a truth that has been kept from her.




The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

This book has been on my radar for so long but I haven't requested it from the library until now. I hear it's a great lesbian contemporary story and that is basically all I really know about the plot. I also know there's a movie that has been made but hasn't been released yet because there isn't a distributor, which is a whole other story but it definitely bums me out. Anyway, I am really excited to read this book. I think it'll be the first book I start reading in Spring (so today). 

Synopsis:  
When Cameron Post’s parents die suddenly in a car crash, her shocking first thought is relief. Relief they’ll never know that, hours earlier, she had been kissing a girl.

But that relief doesn’t last, and Cam is soon forced to move in with her conservative aunt Ruth and her well-intentioned but hopelessly old-fashioned grandmother. She knows that from this point on, her life will forever be different. Survival in Miles City, Montana, means blending in and leaving well enough alone (as her grandmother might say), and Cam becomes an expert at both.

Then Coley Taylor moves to town. Beautiful, pickup-driving Coley is a perfect cowgirl with the perfect boyfriend to match. She and Cam forge an unexpected and intense friendship — one that seems to leave room for something more to emerge. But just as that starts to seem like a real possibility, ultrareligious Aunt Ruth takes drastic action to ‘fix’ her niece, bringing Cam face-to-face with the cost of denying her true self — even if she’s not exactly sure who that is.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a stunning and unforgettable literary debut about discovering who you are and finding the courage to live life according to your own rules.



Bonfire by Krysten Ritter 

I have been pretty excited to read this! I hear mixed reviews but I am still excited to make my own opinions about it. I love Krysten Ritter as an actress so it'll be exciting to get to know her in a different way, which is through her writing. 

Synopsis: 
It has been ten years since Abby Williams left home and scrubbed away all visible evidence of her small town roots. Now working as an environmental lawyer in Chicago, she has a thriving career, a modern apartment, and her pick of meaningless one-night stands.

But when a new case takes her back home to Barrens, Indiana, the life Abby painstakingly created begins to crack. Tasked with investigating Optimal Plastics, the town's most high-profile company and economic heart, Abby begins to find strange connections to Barrens’ biggest scandal from more than a decade ago involving the popular Kaycee Mitchell and her closest friends—just before Kaycee disappeared for good.

Abby knows the key to solving any case lies in the weak spots, the unanswered questions. But as Abby tries to find out what really happened to Kaycee, she unearths an even more disturbing secret—a ritual called “The Game,” which will threaten the reputations, and lives, of the community and risk exposing a darkness that may consume her.

With tantalizing twists, slow-burning suspense, and a remote, rural town of just five claustrophobic miles, Bonfire is a dark exploration of the question: can you ever outrun your past?


Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma 

I don't know too much about this book other than it is a magical realism story about sisters. I requested this book from my library because of Penelope's Picks on YouTube. She's definitely one of my favorite BookTuber's so I recommend checking out her channel! She talked about this book and how it pleasantly surprised her. I previously read the author's book The Walls Around Us a few years ago and I didn't like it too much so I am excited to give the author a second try.

Synopsis: 
Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.



Thanks for reading! 

Which books do you have on your Spring TBR? 

4 comments:

  1. Uprooted has been on my TBR for (let me check the calendar, ah yess) forever. It's been on my list forever. And now I think there's a companion novel coming out?? I have super high expectations for this one. Great list and I hope you enjoy reading them all!

    My TTT: https://tsundokubooks.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/top-ten-books-on-my-spring-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! I didn't know about the companion novel!! I hope it exceeds both of our expectations! :D thank you!

      Delete
  2. The Last Namsara is on my spring list too!

    ReplyDelete