Monday, March 12, 2018

The Feminist Book Tag



This past week the world celebrated International Women's Day! In honor of that I thought it would be fun to do The Feminist  Book Tag. I absolutely identify as a feminist and I cannot wait to talk about both feminism and books! I am not sure who created this tag, but I dicovered it from blogger Liz Whitehouse @ Travel in Retrospect. I definitely recommend checking out how she answers the questions in this tag. Let's get into the tag!


1. Who is your favorite female author? 
There are so many female authors I absolutely love and respect. So I will talk about a handful of my favorites.

  • Becky Albertalli, who wrote Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, The Upside of the Unrequited, and the soon to be released Leah on the Offbeat. Not only is Becky a talented contemporary writer who writes important contemporary stories but she's an absolute sweetheart.
  • Angie Thomas, who wrote The Hate U Give and the upcoming On the Come Up. The Hate U Give is such an important story about grief, bravery, prejudice, family, and of course the Black Lives Matter movement. I think if you haven't read this yet, you should get on it because it's a modern classic. 
  • Victoria Schwab (or V.E. Schwab), who has written a lot of an amazing well received books. The ones I've read are Vicious, This Savage Song, and A Darker Shade of Magic. I love Schwab's writing style, which is dark, descriptive, and captivating. I cannot get enough of her writing style and her unique stories. 
  • Sarah Glenn Marsh, who wrote my favorite book of the year so far, Reign of the Fallen. I loved the world building, the characters, and the writing. I cannot get enough of this story and I just want to re-read it forever. I am dying for more. Also, Sarah is absolute sweetheart. 
  • Marissa Meyer, who wrote the Lunar Chronicles, Heartless, and Renegades. I may not have been the biggest fan of Renegades but I absolutely loved both the Lunar Chronicles and Heartless. It is so easy to get hooked into her writing and (most) of her stories. She's definitely an author that everytime she comes out with a new book I know I have to read it. 
  • Tahereh Mafi, who wrote the Shatter Me series. I love the Shatter Me series and I think her writing is gorgeous. I love her characters in the Shatter Me series and the plot is a bit nostalgic to me because I started reading the series when I was in college and getting into dystopian books.

2.Who is your favorite heroine? 
  • Hermione Granger from Harry Potter is probably a popular answer for this question. She's an amazingly strong character. When I was younger I really related to her and I found comfort in knowing her. 
  • Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter I don't think Ginny gets enough credit. She is such a strong, opinionated, very feminist character. 
  • Odessa from Reign of the Fallen, I loved Odessa. She's been through a lot in this story and I really felt for her. 
  • Molly Peskin-Suso from The Upside of Unrequited. I think if I could have met Molly in high school and was able to read her story I would have had such a different outlook on my body and my value. I want every young woman, especially every fat woman, to be able to read this book because Molly is an amazing character. 
  • Catherine from Heartless. Catherine knows she wants to open her own bakery and although her parents want to focus on her love life she sticks with her passion. I really loved her character and her determination. 

3. What is a novel with a feminist message? 

So many books I've already mentioned above have feminist messages. I think when you have a main female character it seems like bad writing to not have a feminist message. I love the feminist messages in Reign of the Fallen, Heartless, The Upside of Unrequited & Shatter Me (specifically, Ignite Me, the third book in the series). 

4. What's a novel with a girl on the cover? 

These are two books I am very excited about reading this year! I am currently waiting for Children of Blood and Bone to arrive in the mail and Leah on the Offbeat comes out April 24th. 




5. What's a novel featuring a group of girls? 

The first one isn't a novel, but the LumberJanes comic book series is an amazing one that I highly recommend. All of the girls are so great and I love the way they lift each other up. Their friendships are so sweet and I think they're amazing role models for young readers. The second is the first in the Lunar Chronicles, which is an amazing sci-fi series where each book is based on a female character and the plots of each intertwine with each other. It's kind of like the Avengers where each character gets their own movie (or in this case, book) and they all form a group by the end.




6. What's a novel with an LGBTQIAP+ female identifying character? 

  • Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy 
  • Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulhurst 
  • The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli 
  • Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli 
  • Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh 
  • Ash by Malinda Lo
  • George by Alex Gino

7. What is a novel with a different feminine POV? 
George by Alex Gino is about a little transgendered girl who wants to be Charlotte in her school's play of Charlotte's Web but because she was born in a boy's body she is criticized for wanting a "girl's part". Also, Ash by Malinda Lo is a gay retelling of Cinderella, which was really cute and I enjoyed it.  

8. What's a book where a girl saves the wold? 
Hermione Granger definitely helped save the wizarding world. We all know that both Harry and Ron would be dead without Hermione by their side. Another great one is of course Katniss Everdeen, who saves the world in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

9. What's a book where you prefer the female sidekick to the male main character?
Arya Stark and Sansa Stark. I know there isn't really a main character in this book, but I feel like  Jon Snow is definitely one of the more prominent characters so I am using this as my answer. I think both Arya and Sansa are amazing characters and I love them. And of course Hermione and Ginny definitely fit this one also.

10. What's a book written by a male author featuring a female character? 
The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas. This is the first of two Veronica Mars books and although Rob also wrote for the show, I love his writing when it comes to Veronica. It's like I can hear Kristen Bell as I read the book.


These are some of my favorite feminist books and some of my feminist thoughts!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments: