Thursday, March 1, 2018

February Wrap-Up


This is where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read.

* = favorites of the month. 


Book Reviews

Heartless by Marissa Meyer *
The Power by Naomi Alderman
Sex Object by Jessica Valenti
The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
Dear Martin by Nick Stone *
The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton *
Unravel Me & Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi*

Feminist Lit February Wrap Up 

I signed up for Feminist Lit February a bit late but I was way too excited about it to wait until 2019 to participate. I quickly wrote up a TBR for each of the challenges (linking that post here) and then I put those books higher on my priority reading list. I am happy to say I completed all the challenges. Each of the books are the ones I had put on my TBR and the reviews of all five are linked above. 

1. Read a book of feminist fiction. - The Power by Naomi Alderman
2. Read a book of feminist nonfiction. - Sex Object by Jessica Valenti
3. Read a feminist #ownvoices book. - The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
4. Read a book written by a black woman or someone who is black and non-binary/gender fluid. - Dear Martin by Nic Stone.
5. Feminist Freebie. - The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton

Personally I am really proud that I was able to quickly pull a TBR together and read them all. I am bummed I didn't 100% love all of them, but I did find a couple new favorites which I am really happy about. 

Movies/TV Shows 

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Happy Death Day *
Fullmetal Alcehmist (Japanese movie on Netflix)
Gossip Girl (finished season 2, in the middle of season 3)*
The Bachelor (continuing on with current Season 22 - only one more episode left!)
The Bachelor Winter Games
The Book of Henry
Star Trek Discovery (just started so I’m only a handful of episodes in!)

Life Updates 

February has been a pretty good month for me. I am enjoying re-writing my NaNo novel but I need to put myself on an actual schedule. I want to be writing more often and I want to dedicate more time to it. I have a habit of going to social media or reading when I want to avoid writing and I need to be stricter with myself. So that is my goal for March. If any other writers have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them! I had a moment where I was worried I was about to be in a reading slump, first with being bummed that I wasn't into The Girl From Everywhere. Then having to stop reading (and return to the library) Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor made me pretty sad because I was so excited to read it.

March Plans 

Besides my writing plans I have some reading plans. I'd like to re-read This Savage Song so I can finally read Our Dark Duet. I am not sure if I would get to Our Dark Duet this month but I am hoping to read it not too long after my re-read of This Savage Song. I also have Snow Falling by Jane Gloriana Villanueva. If that name sounds familiar, it's because it's the main character from Jane the Virgin. In the show Jane writes a romance book titled Snow Falling.  I am not sure who actually wrote it or how it came to be a real book but I had to request it from my library. I do not typically read romance books, but I had to try it out because I love the show. I also have a large stack of books I own that I really need to get to. Plus, I have a preorder copy of Children and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi and I also pre-ordered Restore me by Tahereh Mafi which I plan on reading once I start and finish Ignite Me, which will hopefully happen soon.

Overall I am happy with how February went, a bit disappointed that Strange the Dreamer ended up not being for me, but overall really pleased. I am also really excited about all the books I plan on reading in March. How was your month? What was the best book you read in February?

Thanks for reading!



4 comments:

  1. Let me know when you start Our Dark Duet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great and productive March, Heather! Congrats on reading so many books in Feb, too :) That list is impressive.

    Hope the writing goes well. I'm also hoping to be stricter with myself and make sure I prioritize writing over social media, etc. It's hard, but it needs to be done!

    Looking forward to your thoughts on Children of Blood and Bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just saw this comment I feel like a dingdong for missing it. <3 <3

      Delete