Friday, January 19, 2018

[Book Blogger Hop] January 19-25th



Book Blogger Hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to discover and follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend bloggers, and gain followers. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end on Thursday where there will be a weekly prompt following a bookish question.


Question:

When reading a mass paperback book, may people fold the cover back, as if they were reading a magazine. Doing this will eventually create creases in the spine. How do you feel about this common bookish habit? (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books)

Answer: 

I think as long as it's their copy and they're not borrowing from someone or the library, people have the right to do whatever they want to any book they own. However, I typically try not to do that with my books if I am hoping the book will last a long time. Mass market paperbacks are fairly cheap, so if I wanted to replace it I could but I don't have the money to be replacing all my paperbacks. So I try to keep them in good enough condition that they will last. But that's me, and I think if someone wants to bend spines, fold the book like a magazine, use the book for art, whatever, they have the right to do that. I am not comfortable telling people what to do with their inanimate objects that they bought or were given to them.


Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. My answer for this one would have been exactly the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT answer, Heather! I keep my books in pristine condition, even after I've read them, as you know from my own post.

    While I would NEVER tell people how to treat their books, I can't help but cringe if I actually see someone either bending their paperback's cover back, or folding corners over. And yes, it does puzzle me as to why someone would do that. But well, to each their own! I would just walk away so I wouldn't have to see the poor book "suffer". Lol.

    Thanks for commenting on my BBH post!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Yes!! I definitely can't relate to anyone who decides to bend the spine!

      And of course, thank you for commenting on mine! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  3. I agree it's your choice, it's your book. I personally don't bend the cover back though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, as long as the book belongs to the person defacing it, they can do what they wish...although some actions make me cringe more than others and spine breaking is not on my personal cringe list.

    Have a wonderful week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It doesn't make me cringe or anything. I don't even know if I even register it when I see someone doing it. I mean I can't relate to people who do, but I also don't care too much about it. k

      Thank you. Have a great week yourself Katie! :)

      Delete