Wednesday, September 20, 2017

[Comic Book Review] Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen




Sarah Andersen's hugely popular, world-famous Sarah's Scribbles comics are for those of us who boast bookstore-ready bodies and Netflix-ready hair, who are always down for all-night reading-in-bed parties and extremely exclusive after-hour one-person music festivals. In addition to the most recent Sarah's Scribbles fan favorites and dozens of all-new comics, this volume contains illustrated personal essays on Sarah's real-life experiences with anxiety, career, relationships and other adulthood challenges that will remind readers of Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half and Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened. The same uniquely frank, real, yet humorous and uplifting tone that makes Sarah's Scribbles so relatable blooms beautifully in this new longer form. 

5 STARS


This is absolutely adorable. I love Sarah's art style and humor. I have been following Sarah on social media for a while, so I am used to the way her art looks and the humor she uses. Because I follow her on social media I have seen some of these comics, which I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the many I hadn't seen yet. I loved them all, the ones I had already read or not have read eyt. 

Art like Sarah's (and other artists like her, Hyperbole and a Half, Soppy/Philippa Rice, C. Cassandra, Gemma Gené, etc) is so easily relatable and it's what draws me into them originally. It is simplistic and cute but it also can tackle things that are important like lady and guy social expectations, relationships, introverted personalities, loving animals, insecurities, mental illness and health, etc. Some of the comics are cute and light hearted where others tackle more serious topics with a dark humor layer underneath. I really enjoy this kind of web comic. 

I found myself taking photos of so many pages/comics and sharing them with my friends and fiancé. I had to force myself to stop or I'd basically be sending them the entire 120 page book. It's hard not to want to save and share them for yourself when you relate so much to the situations and humor. It's like she has scooped private thoughts and pieces of yourself out of your brain and made it into art. 

I highly recommend this comic series if you enjoy any of the comics I have included in this article because the rest of them are just as good. It is so much fun to sit back with a comic like this where each page is it's own separate comic strip. It is so well done and I cannot wait for more comics from Sarah Andersen. 



Thanks for reading! 

 








 

2 comments: