Sunday, April 30, 2017

[Book Tag] Burn, Rewrite, Re-Read




This is a book tag that I believe was created by Lauren Ann on Youtube. I hope I am right on that assumption, and if I am not please tell me below so I can edit and fix it! This is a kind of book tag I haven't done before but I am really excited to try it out. I like these kind of interactive book tags that make it so much more fun than just answering questions. If I have talked negatively at all about a book you love, please take into consideration that this is supposed to be for fun. Just because I would burn or re-write one of your favorites doesn't mean your opinions on that book are invalidated. It's all in good fun, and everyone's opinions will differ.

The Rules!

- Randomly choose three books, I am going to write books on scraps of paper and put them in a cup and pull them out that way, but you could use a random number generator and pick from a list that way.
- For each group, decide which book to burn, which one to re-write, and which one to reread.
- Repeat until you have completed three or six rounds.

Round One

Burn: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
When writing this one on the paper I had assumed I'd use this in the category of "re-write" because I do think the story has potential. But in comparison to the other two books I pulled in this round, I had to put this one here.

Rewrite: The Princess Saved Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace
I think this is an amazing little book of poetry, and I loved so many of the entries. However, there were a few of them that I think seemed very generic and didn't have as much of an impact as the others. So maybe re-writing those would make it a better collection?

Re-Read: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I loved this book. I read it a year ago for the first time and loved it. I think this is one I could re-read every couple years. It's such an important story and I am so upset it took me so long to read it.

Round Two

Burn: Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins
I was really disappointed by this sequel. I loved the first book, Rebel Belle, so when Miss Mayhem came out I was really excited and preordered it. I remember just being really disappointed. I haven't picked up the third in the series, maybe one day I will re-read them both and then read the third.

Re-Write: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohen
I actually absolutely love this book and read it every holiday season. But I most definitely wouldn't burn it and the book I have for re-read needs to be there, so this is kind of there by default. I suppose if I had to re-write something in this story because I chose it, I would maybe re-write it so we got to see a little more of them as a couple by the end. I know there's a sequel, but if we are being honest I don't exactly remember everything from it because I didn't love it as much.

Re-Read: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
This is one of my favorite books ever, it's a book I re-read (and re-listen to) often. It's an amazing book and I highly recommend it.

Round Three

Burn: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Like Miss Mayhem, I really enjoyed the first book in the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. The sequel was definitely a bit of a let down and it has  stopped me from really continuing with the series. Maybe I'll re-read them both and then pick up the third one at some point in the future but I am not sure.

Re-Write: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
The one thing about this book that is a constant complaint I hear from reviewers that I agree with about Throne of Glass is that you're told that Celaena, the main character, is a bad ass assassin, but you're not exactly shown it. It makes it hard because I definitely think that the lack of action and connection with Celaena as a character is what makes people stop reading the series, and I can't blame them.

Re-Read: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
This book and series is an amazing one. I will be re-reading this book sometime this summer which I am really excited for. I really love the writing, characters, and story. It's all very welcoming.

Round Four

Burn: Conversion by Katherine Howe
This book was a bit of a mess. The writing wasn't very good, and although the concept was an interesting one that initially got me to pick up the book, it wasn't executed well. I think that this could have been  a really cool book if it was written by someone else.

Re-Write: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
I enjoyed this book alright when I first read it not long ago. I do think that the writing was very distant and hard to connect to. I think I was hoping for a book that would make me feel connected because I suffer from depression and I thought that reading about someone else who also deals with it would be comforting in a weird way. But instead I didn't feel any connection, and everything was a bit flat.

Re-Read: You by Caroline Kepnes
This book is such an amazing one. It's very creepy and really scary because it's a realistic concept.I think the way we are in Joe's head and we are seeing the way he goes about stalking Beck. It's so messed up and creepy. I think it's a good late night read where you can really let yourself get pulled into the story.

Round Five

Burn: Deadpool: Paws by Stefan Petrucha
I actually enjoyed this book a lot, it's only here because of default. I think this book is one that was a hit for me because I read it a month after seeing the Deadpool movie so I was still pretty pumped from that experience.

Re-Write: Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
I enjoy the story a lot when it comes to this book, but I really dislike the writing. It's juvenile and really cringy. However, I think with a lot of editing it could be a really good book. The characters need tweaking, the dialogue needs to be completely re-written, but I think it could be a good book. I have the second one in the series that I haven't read yet. And maybe the writing improves, but for now I am really surprised it was even published the way it is.

Re-Read: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J.Maas
This book is my favorite of the series. I think we see more of Celaena's assassination skills, we see her be more human and less superficial girl, she bonds with Chaol, Nehemia, and Dorian. There's just something about the book that has me really liking it.

Round Six

Burn: Confess by Colleen Hoover
I really dislike Hoover's stories. I think they're dangerous and poorly written.

Re-Write: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I am currently getting through of Cassandra Clare's works, and the one thing I am happy about is that it seems like her writing is improving as you continue with the series, which is so awesome to see. However, I would want to re-write every dang simile Clare has in City of Bones because they drive me insane.

Re-Read: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This is an amazing and important book. I 100% believe it's a modern classic and should be read by everyone.

Thank you for reading!

Do you agree with my answers? Would you do things differently? If you do the tag tell me and I'd  love to read your responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment